22 Mar NEW REGULATIONS FROM 2022 ON COMPULSORY SOCIAL INSURANCE FOR FOREIGN EMPLOYEES WHO ARE WORKING IN VIETNAM(Last Updated On: April 20, 2022)
According to Decree No. 143/2018/ND-CP October 15, 2018, compulsory social insurances (SI) for foreigners who are working in Vietnam include the following benefits: sickness, maternity, occupational accident, disease, retirement and death insurance benefits. The main contribution and rates shall enter into force from January 1, 2022 as follow:
THE FOREIGNERS WHO ARE REQUIRED TO PARTICIPATE IN THE COMPULSORY INSURANCES
- Employees who are foreign nationals working in Vietnam shall be required to participate in the compulsory SI program if they obtain work permits, practicing certificates, practicing licenses issued in Vietnam, indefinite-term employment contracts or employment contracts valid for at least one year with employers in Vietnam.
- The foreign employees referred above shall be excluded from participation in the compulsory social insurance as provided herein if:
- They are intra-company transferees as stipulated in the Labor Code regarding foreign employees working in Vietnam.
- They reach retirement age under the Labor Code.
WHAT ARE THE COMPULSORY INSURANCE RATES
Total compulsory social insurances contribution rates are 30%, consist of:
- The employee side shall, on a monthly basis, make a total SI contribution accounting for 9,5% of monthly pay (8% into the retirement and death benefit fund and 1,5% into the sickness and parental insurance benefit fund)
- The employer side shall, on a monthly basis, make a SI contribution accounting for 20,5% in proportion to the employee’s payroll in the SI payment month (14% into the retirement and death insurance benefit fund, 3% into the sickness and parental insurance benefit fund, 0.5% into the occupational accident and disease benefit fund, 3% into the health medical fund). The employer is entitled to apply the 0% contribution rate to the labour accident and occupational disease fund from July 1st, 2021 to June 30th, 2022, reducing contributions by 0.5% during this period.
The employer shall not be required to pay SI contributions for their employees as the employees who neither work nor receives salaries or wages for a period of at least 14 working days in each month shall not be bound to pay the SI contribution in that month.
*Please find our standard calculation sheet under lines.
- For employees who pay social insurance premiums according to the employer-decided salary regime, their monthly salary on which social insurance premiums are based is their salary plus salary-based allowance.
- Since January 1, 2018, the monthly salary on which social insurance premiums are based will be the salary plus salary-based allowance and other amounts as prescribed in the labor law.
- In case the monthly salary on which compulsory social insurance premiums are based exceeds 20 times the basic salary, the monthly salary on which social insurance premiums are based must equal 20 times the basic salary. Since July 1, 2019 the applied basic salary in Vietnam is still at 1.490.000 VND, accordingly the cap salary for compulsory social insurance premiums is 29.800.000 VND
Please contact our expertise for practice required procedures and solutions in optimizing the payable amount, cases of the one-off SI benefit entitlement for foreigners…
WHO WE ARE
- VIVA is a business consulting company, specializes in business compliance procedures according to local business laws and regulations since 2006. VIVA has been continuously trusted by thousands of well-known clients since 2006.
- The insights and consistent backgrounds in Business Laws - Accounting and Corporate Finance - Tax Management – Labor Relations and Payroll - Secretarial services help us build trust and confidence in the entrepreneurs’ community.
- We have been successfully providing service for thousands of leading companies from Hong Kong, Japan, US, EU, Singapore, India, China, Korea…. in forms of FDI companies, Foreign representative offices, Foreigner working in Vietnam, Vietnamese SMEs, Chief Operation Officers.
- VIVA's logo is our Brand name, our signature, it states our faith - independence - transparence - and loyalty for client's interest. The signature is commitment and honor on our outstanding expertise and professionalism. It is the symbol of good standing for our clients whenever they are doing business with customers, partners, the local competent state agencies...
- Expats working in Vietnam: what you shall keep in mind
- Expats in Vietnam: compulsory insurances
- Labor laws and regulations in Vietnam: 100 popular questions you need to know
- Type of labor contracts in Vietnam: how to terminate by the employer?
- Managing labor relations for expats in Vietnam
- Penalties for administrative violations against regulations on compulsory social insurance in Vietnam
- Compulsory social insurance for foreigners in Vietnam
- Payroll service and manage employment relations