According to the Law on entry, exit, transit, and residence of foreigners in Vietnam that came into force from July 10, 2020, there are new regulations on types and time limits of visas. We are happy to update you as follows:
VISA ENTERING INTO VIETNAM
- Visa means a document issued by a competent authority of Vietnam to a foreigner to grant entry into Vietnam.
- A temporary residence card is a document issued by an immigration authority to a foreigner who is permitted to reside in Vietnam for a certain period of time. This card has the same validity as a visa.
- A visa may be used once or multiple times and its purpose must not be changed. Visa shall be issued and attached to a passport, issued separately or issued via an electronic transaction or according to lists issued by immigration authorities. Each person shall be issued with a separate visa, except for children under 14 who will be issued with visas in the same passports of their parents or guardians.
- A visa of an individual cannot be repurposed, except for cases: He/she presents documents proving to be an investor or a representative for a foreign organization investing in Vietnam; He/she presents document proving his/her relationship with the person inviting or sponsoring his/her entry into Vietnam such as parents, spouse, children; He/she is invited or sponsored by agencies or organizations and presents work permit or confirmation of eligibility for work permit exemption according to labor laws.
VISA FOR FOREIGN WORKERS: SYMBOLS AND TIME LIMITS
- Symbol LĐ means that time limits of visa not exceed 2 years – issued to people who come to Vietnam work. In which, LD1 – issued to foreigners working in Vietnam and certified of eligibility for work permit exemption, unless otherwise specified by international agreements to which Vietnam is a signatory. LD2 – issued to foreigners working in Vietnam that are required to have work permit
- Symbol DN means that time limits of visa not exceed 12 months – issued to people who come to work with companies in Vietnam. In which, DN1 – issued to foreigners working with other enterprises and organizations that have legal status as per the law of Vietnam. DN2 – issued to foreigners making entry to promote services, establish a commercial presence, or conduct other activities according to international agreements to which Vietnam is a signatory.
- Symbol TT means that time limits of visa not exceed 12 months – issued to foreigners that are parents, spouse, children under 18 years of age of the foreigners issued with LV1, LV2, ĐT, NN1, NN2, UNIVERSITY, PV1, LĐ visas, or foreigners that are parents, spouse, children of Vietnamese citizens.
- Symbol DL – issued to tourists.
VALIDITY OF TEMPORARY RESIDENCE CARD
The validity of issued temporary resident cards shall be at least 30 days shorter than the remaining validity of passports
- The duration of DT1 temporary residence card shall not exceed 10 years.
- The duration of DT2, NG3, LS temporary residence card shall not exceed 5 years.
- The duration of DT3 and TT temporary residence card shall not exceed 3 years.
- The duration of LD1, LD2 temporary residence card shall not exceed 2 years
- An expired temporary residence card shall be considered for the issuance of a new one.
Read more different type visa entry Vietnam:
- Vietnam entry visa, types and time limits
- Vietnam entry visa for foreign organizations
- Visa for foreign investors, symbols and time limits
- Vietnam entry visa for foreign investors
- Evisa – new regulation on entry and exit for foreigners in Vietnam
- Full compliance procedures for foreigners
- Work permit in Vietnam: Regulation and guidance
- Compulsory insurance – What you need to know
- Temporary residence card – What you need to know
- Permanent residence card – What you need to know
- Procedure for consular legalization foreign document
- Legal representative of enterprise – Roles and responsibility
- Personal income tax – methods of declaration and payable amount