Vietnam grants electronic visas or e-visas to citizens of all countries and territories in the world, regardless of purposes such as tourism, visiting relatives, working, business, commercial,… with terms up to 90 days. In addition, the Law on Entry, Exit, Transit and Residence of Foreigners in Vietnam has been amended and takes effect from August 15, 2023 with the following important contents:
NATIONALS AND INTERNATIONAL BORDER CHECKPOINTS FOR ELECTRONIC VISAS
- Electronic visas shall be issued in such a way to ensure national defense and security, social order and safety, and conform to Vietnam’s foreign policy and socio-economic development.
- Since August 15, 2023, Vietnam grants electronic visas or e-visas to citizens of all countries and territories in the world, regardless of purposes such as tourism, visiting relatives, working, business, commercial,… with terms up to 90 days.
- The list of international border checkpoints for entry and exit of foreigners on electronic visas: Noi Bai, Tan Son Nhat, Cam Ranh, Da Nang, Cat Bi, Can Tho, Phu Quoc, Phu Bai, Van Don, Tho Xuan, Dong Hoi, Phu Cat, Lien Khuong. There are also other border checkpoints by land and sea that also allow the application of e-visas.
CONDITIONS FOR ISSUE OF ELECTRONIC VISAS
- Passport still valid from 06 months and above, with at least 02 empty pages.
- 01 passport photo.
- Scan copy of passport and photo.
- Bank card for payment of e-visa fees.
PROCEDURES FOR ISSUE OF ELECTRONIC VISAS
Since 2023, the application for Vietnam e-visa is done entirely on the national public service portal, in which:
- Agencies or organizations that sponsor foreigners applying for an e-visa shall submit an application at https://dichvucong.bocongan.gov.vn/bocongan/bothutuc/tthc?matt=26276
- Foreigners who apply for an e-visa by themselves submit their documents at https://dichvucong.bocongan.gov.vn/bocongan/bothutuc/tthc?matt=26277
- Time limit of SQ visa does not exceed 30 days.
- Time limits of HN, DL and EV visas do not exceed 90 days.
- Time limit of VR visa does not exceed 180 days.
- Time limits of NG1, NG2, NG3, NG4, LV1, LV2, DT4, DN1, DN2, NN1, NN2, NN3, DH, PV1, PV2 and TT visas do not exceed one year.
- The duration of a LĐ visa is not longer than 02 years.
- The duration of a ĐT visa is not longer than 05 years.
- When a visa expires, its re-issuance shall be considered.
- The duration of a visa shall be shorter than passport or international laissez-passer by at least 30 days.
USES AND FORMATS OF VISA
- A visa may be used one or multiple times and its purpose must not be changed.
- Each person shall be issued with a separate visa, except for children under 14 who will be issued with visas in the same passports of their parents or guardians.
- Visas can be used once or multiple times; and visas issued for children under 14 who will be issued with visas in the same passports of their parents or guardians can be used once.
CERTIFICATION AND TEMPORARY DURATION
The immigration control unit grants temporary residence certificates to foreigners on entry by stamping their passports or separate visas with the following duration:
- The duration of the certificate of temporary residence is the same as the duration of the visa. If the duration of the visa is not longer than 15 days, the duration of the temporary residence permit shall be 15 days. If the visa symbol is ĐT or LĐ, the duration of the temporary residence permit shall not exceed 12 months, and the issuance of a temporary residence card shall be considered;
- For the persons granted visa-free entry under international agreements to which Vietnam is a signatory, the duration of temporary residence permit shall comply with such international agreements, or shall be 30 days if it is not specified by the international agreements;
- A national benefitting from unilateral visa-free entry treatment of Vietnam shall be granted temporary residence for 45 days and considered for issuance of visa and extension of temporary residence according to regulations;
- A person who does not fall into cases specified at the above-mentioned points and enters economic zones of border checkpoint areas shall be granted temporary residence for 15 days, enter the special administrative-economic unit or the prescribed coastal economic zone when fully meeting the following conditions: has an international airport; have a separate space; have definite geographical boundaries, separate from the mainland; in accordance with the socio-economic development policy and without prejudice to national defense, security, social order and safety, a temporary residence permit shall be granted for 30 days.
- For foreigners with valid permanent residence cards or temporary residence cards, temporary residence will not be granted.
RESPONSIBILITIES FOR DECLARATION OF TEMPORARY RESIDENCE
- Any foreigners are responsible to present their passports or international travel documents, and documents related to residence in Vietnam to accommodation establishments to declare their temporary residence according to regulations.
- Entities may only employ foreign workers, organize tourism programs for foreigners or allow foreigners to temporarily reside in Vietnam when they lawfully reside in Vietnam.
- Any foreigner that temporarily resides in Vietnam shall, via the person directly managing and operating the operation of the accommodation establishment, declare his/her temporary residence to the police of the commune, ward, and township or at the local police authority/station where the accommodation establishment is located.
- Accommodation establishments shall be responsible for requesting foreigners to present their passports or international travel documents, and documents related to residence in Vietnam to register temporary residence before admitting them.
- In case where foreigners change their address of temporary residence stated in their permanent residence cards or when there is any change in information in their passports, the declaration of temporary residence must be remade on his/her temporary residence to the police of the commune, ward, and township or at the local police authority/station where the accommodation establishment is located.
- Foreigners must not temporarily reside in prohibited areas, areas in border areas on land where activities are suspended; prohibited zones, and restricted areas in border areas at sea.
- If entities detect signs of violations against regulations on entry, exit, transit and residence of foreigners in Vietnam, they shall immediately notify the nearest police authorities; if entities detect signs of violations which occur in border areas, they shall immediately notify the nearest police authorities or border guard posts/stations.
These regulations take effect on August 15, 2023. In case a foreigner has been issued with an electronic visa or granted unilateral visa-free entry or applied for an electronic visa but has not yet been issued with an electronic visa when these regulations take effect, the former regulations shall be applied.
ABOUT VIVA BUSINESS CONSULTING
VIVA is the local expertise for local business compliance procedures, has been trusted by thousands of foreign investors, multinational companies from Europe, Japan, Singapore, India, Korea, USA… for the required business compliance procedures by local laws and regulations since 2006.
Thanks for consistent of practice expertise in Business laws - Employment relations – Tax and accounting – Corporate finance – Corporate services, VIVA has been successfully providing service for thousands of leading companies in such industries: Garment, energy, pharma, advertising, agricultural…
VIVA keeps its signature by offering one-stop business platform with regard to market entry and the mandatory business compliances. We ensure for our client’s good standing, in lawful and optimal manners whenever they are working and doing business in Vietnam.
- Electronic visas in Vietnam (E-visa) – What you need to know
- Visa entry Vietnam, types and time limits – what you need to know
- Vietnam entry visa for foreign workers
- Vietnam entry visa for foreign investors
- Visa for foreign investors, symbols and time limits
- Vietnam entry visa for foreign organizations
- Investment visa in Vietnam: type and time limits
- Foreign employees – personal taxable income – methods of declaration
- Temporary residence card in Vietnam – what you need to know
- Permanent residence card in Vietnam – what you need to know
- Consular legalization foreign document to use in Vietnam
- Work permit in Vietnam – regulations and guidance
- Compulsory insurances in Vietnam – what you need to know
- Foreign managers and experts in Vietnam – manage the local required compliance procedures