With a stable political environment, labour law and operating costs, as well as promising economic prospects, Vietnam presents a dynamic market and an attractive destination for both foreign and private investors to participate in the economy. For doing business in Vietnam, foreign investors can form several kinds of legal entities with Foreign invested company and Representative office being the most popular choices.
Each of them has different advantages and disadvantages, so which model is more suitable for your investment decision in Vietnam?
For better understanding of doing business in Vietnam, you might be interested in these topics:
- Top 10 challenges of doing business in Vietnam
- Foreign Investment In Vietnam – What you need to know
- Doing business in Vietnam – How to set up company in Vietnam
- Doing business in Vietnam – Enterprise establishment procedures
- Why choose representative offices – Typical rights and obligations
REGARDING THE TYPES OF LEGAL ENTITIES SUPPORTING YOUR INVESTMENT IN VIETNAM, YOU MIGHT HAVE TO CONSIDER BETWEEN SUBSIDIARY – FDI COMPANY (FOREIGN INVESTED COMPANY) AND REPRESENTATIVE OFFICES
VIVA would like to share some advantages and disadvantages of each business model that may sharp your business choice in Vietnam.
|FDI COMPANY||REPRESENTATIVE OFFICE|
|ADVANTAGES||1. Has separate legal identity than its shareholders and directors. It has the rights of a natural person.||1. No Corporate Income Tax.|
|2. Can sue and be sued in its name.||2. No monthly and quarterly VAT declaration.|
|3. Can do full business activities such as trading, manufacturing, service, purchase property and estates for its own use.||3. Annually audited financial statements are not required to file their annual accounts.|
|4. Full legal status and can enjoy all rights of a business unit in civil administrative and business regulations such as ownership of properties, expand investment, open new branches, new factories, new offices, invest in others businesses.||4. Easy to terminate – dissolute – closure.|
|5. Shareholders and directors’ liability extends only to their amount invested in the shares of the company.||5. Compliance requirements of a representative office are not as strict as compared to other types of subsidiary companies.|
|6. A Limited Liability Company (LLC) is responsible for its own debts and losses.||6. Running costs of the representative office is lower as the law demands fewer administration requirements.|
|7. A LLC has perpetual existence which does not depend on the membership of any shareholders. It still goes on if a shareholder or a director dies or is bankrupted.|
|8. Shareholders can transfer their ownership in the company by selling their shares.|
|9. The rules and regulations applied to these companies are the same for local or foreign investors.|
|10. Enjoy the tax incentives: VAT refund, CIT exemptions, exemption of import duty.|
|11. Open bank accounts with no limit, receipt and payment domestic and abroad, transfer of profits to home country.|
|12. Invest – withdraw the capital and profit abroad officially.|
|13. Allowed to receive incomes from many sources such as investors, customers, loans…|
|DISADVANTAGES||1. Full accounting system on VAS is required to file their annual accounts.||1. Not allowed to do any profitable activities (No trading, no manufacturing, no provide service, no import – export goods, no inventory...)|
|2. Annually audited financial statements are required to file their annual taxes settlement.||2. Can not recruit directly, restrictions on the number and area permitted recruitment.|
|3. Should declare and pay for Corporate Income Tax (0% to 20%) on profit and audit by tax department, declare for VAT and other taxes monthly and quarterly.||3. Limited operating period for every 5 years.|
|4. Should prove for financial ability at the beginning and pay up the registered capital in the investment license.||4. Can not transfer the ownership.|
|5. There are still some limitations on foreign investors in the number of business areas.||5. Limited income and payment: Not allowed to receive income from many sources such as investors, customers, loans… , but a single source from Headquarter and pay for limited activities of the office.|
|6. Can not expand more offices, branches.|
|7. Has no legal status.|
|8. Can not deduct or refund VAT – has to bear VAT as the end users / consumers.|
ABOUT VIVA BUSINESS CONSULTING
Who we are?
- VIVA is a business consulting company, specializes in business compliance procedures according to local business laws and regulations since 2006. VIVA has been continuously trusted by thousands of well-known clients since 2006.
- The insights and consistent backgrounds in Business Laws – Accounting and Corporate Finance – Tax Management – Labor Relations and Payroll – Secretarial services help us build trust and confidence in the entrepreneur's community.
- We have been successfully providing service for thousands of leading companies from Hong Kong, Japan, US, EU, Singapore, India, China, Korea…. in forms of FDI companies, Foreign representative offices, Foreigners working in Vietnam, Vietnamese SMEs, Chief Operation Officers.
What we do
- Services for Expats in Vietnam: Visa, Work Permit, Temporary residence card, Compulsory Insurances, Personal Income tax, Labor contracts, Employment Records and Relations, Other Secretarial Services.
- Services for Representative offices in Vietnam: Establishment, extension of representative office licenses. Required compliance procedures during operation. Rights and obligations of the chief of representative office. Closure of representative office risks management.
- Services for a company in Vietnam: Setting up a new company and licensing service. Business records management. Daily business transactions management. Tax management. Accounting and financial statements. Employments, payroll and compulsory insurances. Representative on behalf of competent state agencies for any business administration procedures.
Motivated by our core values of ceaseless improvement, our great insights in local business culture and regulations, as well as the exclusive services, promise to offer you one-stop and tailored-made solutions that optimize every of your business in Vietnam in the lawful manner.
We are looking to be your valued business partner and resources in Vietnam as we have been choosing since 2006.
- Roles and responsibilities of the enterprise’s legal representative
- Why and how to close representative office in Vietnam?
- Cases and how to shutdown a foreign representative office in Vietnam
- Full compliance procedures for foreigners who are working in Vietnam
- Capital contribution for establishment a company – what you need to know
- Rep office vs subsidiary vs branch? How to transform business models in Vietnam
- Operating representative office in Vietnam manage your 08 compliance procedure