BASED ON DECREE
No. 143/2018/ND-CP – Hanoi, October 15, 2018
WHO SHALL BE REQUIRED TO PARTICIPATE IN THE COMPULSORY SOCIAL INSURANCE IN VIETNAM?
Employees who are foreign nationals working in Vietnam shall be required to participate in the compulsory social insurance (SI) program if they obtain work permits, practicing certificates, practicing licenses issued in Vietnam, indefinite-term employment contracts, or employment contracts valid for at least one year with employers in Vietnam.
Employers participating in the compulsory social insurance, including foreign or international bodies or organizations operating within the territory of Vietnam; enterprises, cooperatives, single-person households, cooperative associations, other organizations, and persons who are licensed to do business as per laws, shall be required to participate in the compulsory social insurance if they hire and employ personnel to work under employment contracts.
WHO SHALL BE EXCLUDED FROM PARTICIPATION IN THE COMPULSORY SOCIAL INSURANCE
Employees who are foreign nationals working in Vietnam shall be excluded from participation in the compulsory social insurance as provided herein if:
- They are intra-company transferees as stipulated in the law.
- They reach retirement age under the Labor Code.
CONTRIBUTION RATES AND AFFECTED TIME
For the employees:
About the contribution rates and methods from January 1, 2022, the employees who are foreign nationals working in Vietnam shall be required to participate in the compulsory social insurance (SI) program shall, on a monthly basis, make an SI contribution accounting for 8% of his/her monthly pay to the retirement and death benefit fund.
For the employers:
The employer, on a monthly basis, makes social insurance (SI) contribution in proportion to the employee’s payroll in the SI payment month as follows:
- 0.5% of the abovementioned payroll paid into the occupational accident and disease benefit fund;
- 3% of the abovementioned payroll paid into the sickness and parental insurance benefit fund;
- 14% of the abovementioned payroll paid into the retirement and death insurance benefit fund, in effect from January 1, 2022.
The employee who neither works nor receives salaries or wages for a period of at least 14 working days in each month shall not be bound to pay the SI contribution in that month. This month shall not be taken into account to determine entitlement to SI benefits, except for parental leaves.
For the employee who enter into multiple employment contracts with more than one employer and are required to participate in the compulsory social insurance (SI) program, both the employee and the employer shall only have to pay SI contributions as agreed upon in the first employment contract. If wishing to participate in the occupational accident and disease insurance fund, the employee shall be required to pay SI contributions per each employment contract
If the insured employee who is currently entitled to monthly retirement pensions and SI benefits is not residing in Vietnam, he/she may authorize another person to receive these amounts. The one-off benefit payment in his/her wish shall be approved.
ABOUT VIVA BUSINESS CONSULTING
VIVA is the local expertise for local business compliance procedures, has been trusted by thousands of foreign investors, multinational companies from Europe, Japan, Singapore, India, Korea, USA… for the required business compliance procedures by local laws and regulations since 2006.
Thanks for consistent of practice expertise in Business laws - Employment relations – Tax and accounting – Corporate finance – Corporate services, VIVA has been successfully providing service for thousands of leading companies in such industries: Garment, energy, pharma, advertising, agricultural…
VIVA keeps its signature by offering one-stop business platform with regard to market entry and the mandatory business compliances. We ensure for our client’s good standing, in lawful and optimal manners whenever they are working and doing business in Vietnam.
- Compulsory insurance in Vietnam: What you need to know
- Compulsory social insurance for foreign employees: new regulations from 2022
- Managing labor relations for foreigners in Vietnam
- Notice on social insurance for foreigner in Vietnam
- Three key points on salary and compulsory insurance
- Full compliance procedures for foreigners who are working in Vietnam
- Type of labor contracts in Vietnam – how to terminate by the employer?
- Labor relations management in Vietnam – the key compliance procedures
- Acceptance of demand for foreign workers from local competent state agencies
- Labor laws and regulations in Vietnam – 100 popular questions you need to know
- Personal income tax for foreign employees – methods of declaration and payable amount
- Penalties for administrative violations against regulations on compulsory social insurance in Vietnam