04 Sep FOREIGN REPRESENTATIVE OFFICE – CASHBOOK AND LAWFUL INVOICES FOR TAX INSPECTION(Last Updated On: August 16, 2021)
Representative Offices in Vietnam that have been operating for 3 years or more will be subjected to tax inspection. Most Rep offices often have 03 popular violations:
Not collecting lawful invoices for paid expenditures. Not opening bank accounts and preparing accounting reports and reviewing allowed incomes, expenditures according to rep office’s function. And not declaring personal income tax and final tax settlement for foreigners and local employees.
These violations may lead to serious penalties and and impact to the operation of the office in the future as well as credit – good standing of parent company in Vietnam:
RULES ON LAWFUL INVOICES
Laws on VAT invoices have been applied since year 2000. There are many amendments and revised version, but the basic rules still remain: the seller should issue lawful invoice for any service or goods sold and the buyers (included entities) responsibility to collect and keep the invoices. There should be no doubt about these rules.
Goods and service sellers are obliged to
- Manage invoice creation activities under current regulations.
- Sign, when ordering the printing of invoices, invoice printing-ordering contracts with qualified printing establishments.
- Make and send invoice issuance notices under regulations.
- Make out and hand invoices when selling goods or services to customers, except cases specified in current rule and regulation.
- Regularly inspect the use of invoices and promptly prevent violations:
- Report on the use of invoices to managing tax offices under the Finance Ministry’s regulations.
Responsibilities of goods and service buyers
- When buying goods or services, to request sellers to make out and hand invoices.
- To provide accurate information necessary for sellers to make out invoices.
- To sign invoice originals already fully filled in when directly buying goods, except cases specified by the Ministry of Finance.
- To use invoices for proper purposes.
- To provide information indicated in invoices to competent agencies upon request.
Lawful invoices are not always vat invoice but in some other forms
- Value-added invoice, which is a goods and service sale invoice reserved for restaurant declaring value-added tax under credit method.
- Goods-sale invoice, which is a goods and service sale invoice reserved for restaurant and individuals declaring value-added tax under direct method.
TAX INSPECTION AND RISK MANAGEMENT
Since 2012, the tax department focus very much on representative office tax inspection based on the Anti money laundering regulations and latest update Laws on tax management, personal income tax… Representative offices shall be ready for:
- How much the fund from headquarters over the years of operation. If the funds violate with foreign currency regulations?
- How much the expenditures?
- How much the salary?
- If the expenditures are in line with office functions and allowed activities? If the expenditures have lawful invoices? If not, there will be tax arrears and penalties.
- If the paid salary has lawful labor records? If not, there will be tax arrears and penalties.
Actually, many representative offices did not believe the rules and pass the tax inspection with very disaster lessons.
There are some technical processes to remove the exists and pass the tax inspection with reasonable payable amount:
- Audit for the required business records and transaction
- Complete the records and transactions based on accounting / tax / business / civil law documents.
- Complete the cashbook and petty cash in advance.
- Arrange with the inspectors about the goals and inspection process toward the most reasonable payable amount.
WHY VIVA BUSINESS CONSULTING
VIVA is a business consulting company, specializes in business compliance procedures according to local business laws and regulations since 2006. VIVA has been continuously trusted by thousands of well-known clients since 2006.
The insights and consistent background in Business Laws – Accounting and Corporate Finance – Tax Management – Labor Relations and Payroll – Secretarial services help us build trust and confidence in the entrepreneurs community.
We have been successfully providing service for thousands of leading companies from Hong Kong, Japan, US, EU, Singapore, India, China, Korea…. in forms of FDI companies, Foreign representative offices, Foreigner working in Vietnam, Vietnamese SMEs, Chief Operation Officers.
- Services for Expats in Vietnam: Visa, Work Permit, Temporary residence card, Compulsory Insurances, Personal Income tax, Labor contracts, Employment Records and Relations, Other Secretarial Services.
- Services for Representative in Vietnam: Establishment, extension of representative office licenses. Required compliance procedures during operation. Rights and obligations of the chief of representative office. Closure of representative office risks management.
- Services for a company in Vietnam: Setting up a new company and licensing service. Business records management. Daily business transactions management. Tax management. Accounting and financial statements. Employments, payroll and compulsory insurances. Representative on behalf at competent state agencies for any business administration procedures.
Corporate and secretarial services
We help foreigners more convenience and efficiency in working and doing business in Vietnam:
- Bank accounts for: Payment, saving, investment, loans…
- Direct Investment in Vietnam.
- In-direct Investment in Vietnam.
- Buy, rent and purchase housing.
- Manage contracts and representative for the deals.
- Legalized and notarized translations of overseas papers.
- Exclusive counsel for the Chief of representative office and Legal representatives of a business entity.