- According to Vietnamese law, consular legalization is necessary and compulsory for documents issued by foreign agencies to be lawfully used in Vietnam.
WHEN CARRYING OUT CONSULAR LEGALIZATION PROCEDURES, YOU MUST ENSURE THAT
- A paper or document comprising two or more pages must bear a seal appended on adjoining pages;
- If you request consular legalization by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Consular Department or Departments of External Relations, your foreign papers and documents must be first certified by overseas diplomatic missions, consulates, or other authorized agencies of your country in Vietnam;
- If you request consular legalization by overseas Vietnamese diplomatic missions, your foreign papers and documents must first be certified by:
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs or other competent agency of the host country in case such papers and documents has been issued by that country. For a federative country, the Consular Department will provide specific guidance on agency with certification competence of such country, depending on local conditions and law, to overseas Vietnamese representative offices.
- Overseas diplomatic mission, consular legalization, or other authorized agency of a third country in the host country in case such papers and documents has been issued by the third country.
CONSULAR LEGALIZATION PROCEDURES
In Vietnam, you may submit a dossier for consular legalization of your papers to the following competent agencies:
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs Consular Department, at 40 Tran Phu street, Ba Dinh district, Hanoi.
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ Ho Chi Minh City Department of External Relations, at 6 Alexandre De Rhodes street, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City.
You may also dial 0989313339 for fast-track services. Local external relations offices are authorized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to receive consular certification and legalization dossiers. You can submit your dossier and receive the result on weekdays and Saturday mornings, except for public holidays.
THE DOSSIER MUST COMPRISE
- One declaration for consular certification or legalization, made according to form No. LS/HPH-2012/TK.
- An original personal identification paper (identity card, passport, or passport substitute paper) in case of direct submission; or one copy of such paper in case of submission by post. This paper is not required to be certified.
- Papers and documents requested to be consular certified, which have been certified by a foreign diplomatic mission, consulate, or another agency authorized to perform the consular function.
- One copy of each paper and document requested to be consular legalization.
- One Vietnamese or English translation of each paper or document requested to be consular legalized, in case such papers and documents are not made in such language. Translations are not required to be certified but you are responsible for the accuracy of the translations.
- One copy of the translations of papers and documents.
- An envelope bearing the recipient’s address in case the dossier is submitted by post and results are requested to be notified by post.
Consular legalization procedures may have some checking about the authenticity of papers and documents requested to be consular certified, dossier-receiving officers may ask you to additionally produce the originals of related papers and documents, and submit one copy of each of such papers and documents.
ABOUT VIVA BUSINESS CONSULTING
VIVA is the local expertise for local business compliance procedures, has been trusted by thousands of foreign investors, multinational companies from Europe, Japan, Singapore, India, Korea, USA… for the required business compliance procedures by local laws and regulations since 2006.
Thanks for consistent of practice expertise in Business laws - Employment relations – Tax and accounting – Corporate finance – Corporate services, VIVA has been successfully providing service for thousands of leading companies in such industries: Garment, energy, pharma, advertising, agricultural…
VIVA keeps its signature by offering one-stop business platform with regard to market entry and the mandatory business compliances. We ensure for our client’s good standing, in lawful and optimal manners whenever they are working and doing business in Vietnam.
- Expats working in Vietnam: what you shall keep in mind
- Visa entry Vietnam, types and time limits: what you need to know
- Compulsory insurances in Vietnam: what you need to know
- Expats in Vietnam: work permit exemption – revocation
- Work permit in Vietnam: regulations and guidance
- Temporary residence card in Vietnam: what you need to know
- Permanent residence card in Vietnam: what you need to know
- Evisa – new regulation on entry and exit for foreigners in Vietnam
- Legal representative of enterprise in Vietnam: roles and responsibilities
- Private banking: wealth management for foreigners in Vietnam
- Foreign employees: personal taxable income – methods of declaration
- Chief of representative office or head of branch in Vietnam: role and responsibility
- The consular authentication and legalization procedures for documents issued in China