Expats in Vietnam: Consular legalization procedures | VIVA BCS


(Last Updated On: April 20, 2022)
Expats in Vietnam: Consular legalization procedures | VIVA BCS

According to Vietnamese law, consular legalization is necessary and compulsory for documents issued by foreign agencies to be lawfully used in Vietnam.


  • A paper or document comprising two or more pages must bear a seal appended on adjoining pages;
  • If you request consular legalization by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Consular Department or Departments of External Relations, your foreign papers and documents must be first certified by overseas diplomatic missions, consulates, or other authorized agencies of your country in Vietnam;
  • If you request consular legalization by overseas Vietnamese diplomatic missions, your foreign papers and documents must first be certified by:
    • The Ministry of Foreign Affairs or other competent agency of the host country in case such papers and documents has been issued by that country. For a federative country, the Consular Department will provide specific guidance on agency with certification competence of such country, depending on local conditions and law, to overseas Vietnamese representative offices.
    • Overseas diplomatic mission, consular legalization, or other authorized agency of a third country in the host country in case such papers and documents has been issued by the third country.


In Vietnam, you may submit a dossier for consular legalization of your papers to the following competent agencies:

  • The Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ Ho Chi Minh City Department of External Relations, at 6 Alexandre De Rhodes street, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City.

You may also dial 0989313339 for fast-track services. Local external relations offices are authorized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to receive consular certification and legalization dossiers. You can submit your dossier and receive the result on weekdays and Saturday mornings, except for public holidays.


  • One declaration for consular certification or legalization, made according to form No. LS/HPH-2012/TK.
  • An original personal identification paper (identity card, passport, or passport substitute paper) in case of direct submission; or one copy of such paper in case of submission by post. This paper is not required to be certified.
  • Papers and documents requested to be consular certified, which have been certified by a foreign diplomatic mission, consulate, or another agency authorized to perform the consular function.
  • One copy of each paper and document requested to be consular legalization.
  • One Vietnamese or English translation of each paper or document requested to be consular legalized, in case such papers and documents are not made in such language. Translations are not required to be certified but you are responsible for the accuracy of the translations.
  • One copy of the translations of papers and documents.
  • An envelope bearing the recipient’s address in case the dossier is submitted by post and results are requested to be notified by post.

Consular legalization procedures may have some checking about the authenticity of papers and documents requested to be consular certified, dossier-receiving officers may ask you to additionally produce the originals of related papers and documents, and submit one copy of each of such papers and documents.


Who we are?

  • VIVA is a business consulting company, specializes in business compliance procedures according to local business laws and regulations since 2006. VIVA has been continuously trusted by thousands of well-known clients since 2006.
  • The insights and consistent backgrounds in Business Laws – Accounting and Corporate Finance – Tax Management – Labor Relations and Payroll – Secretarial services help us build trust and confidence in the entrepreneur's community.
  • We have been successfully providing service for thousands of leading companies from Hong Kong, Japan, US, EU, Singapore, India, China, Korea…. in forms of FDI companies, Foreign representative offices, Foreigners working in Vietnam, Vietnamese SMEs, Chief Operation Officers.

What we do

  • Services for Expats in Vietnam: Visa, Work Permit, Temporary residence card, Compulsory Insurances, Personal Income tax, Labor contracts, Employment Records and Relations, Other Secretarial Services.
  • Services for Representative offices in Vietnam: Establishment, extension of representative office licenses. Required compliance procedures during operation. Rights and obligations of the chief of representative office. Closure of representative office risks management.
  • Services for a company in Vietnam: Setting up a new company and licensing service. Business records management. Daily business transactions management. Tax management. Accounting and financial statements. Employments, payroll and compulsory insurances. Representative on behalf of competent state agencies for any business administration procedures.


Motivated by our core values of ceaseless improvement, our great insights in local business culture and regulations, as well as the exclusive services, promise to offer you one-stop and tailored-made solutions that optimize every of your business in Vietnam in the lawful manner.

We are looking to be your valued business partner and resources in Vietnam as we have been choosing since 2006.


Footer content lv2


Chat with consultants





Read more:

Business License Management In Vietnam

Preparing And Managing Business Records

Checking – Completing And Managing Business Licenses

Compliance Procedures For License Of Foreign Representative Office In Vietnam

error: Alert: Content is protected !!